The Haus der Universität is operated by Heinrich Heine University, but it could not exist without the extremely generous initiative of its supporters.
The former banking building was acquired by the van Meeteren Foundation in 2011 and extensively renovated for its new role as a conference centre. Since 2013, the Foundation has allowed the university to use the building free of charge.
Udo van Meeteren, Honorary Senator of Heinrich Heine University, is one of Germany’s most important patrons. He has been recognised for his philanthropic activities many times, for example with the German Founder’s Prize and honorary citizenship of the city of Düsseldorf. Heinrich Heine University is deeply obliged to him for his support and his invaluable gift of the Haus der Universität.
The realisation of the building’s interior was also facilitated by the generous contributions of other benefactors:
- Mechthild and Dr Frank Wichelmann
- The Haubrich Foundation
The operation of the building is supported by the Haus der Universität Foundation, which was founded explicitly for this purpose and whose considerable endowment fund was provided in 2014 by
- The state capital of Düsseldorf (under Mayor Dirk Elbers)
- Irmel and Udo van Meeteren
- The Gesellschaft von Freunden und Förderern der Heinrich-Heine-Universität Düsseldorf e.V. (Society of Friends and Sponsors of Heinrich Heine University Düsseldorf)
The foundation is administered by the Gesellschaft von Freunden und Förderern der Heinrich-Heine-Universität e.V. Among other things, the foundation’s support enables
- The development of innovative dialogue formats
- The acquisition of professional technical equipment, e.g. for video recordings and live streams
- The expansion of public relations work
We are always happy to hear from others who are interested in supporting the Haus der Universität. If, for example, you would like to support our work in the long term through an endowment, please contact the Gesellschaft von Freunden und Förderern der Heinrich-Heine-Universität e.V.