History of the building
The prestigious building at Schadowplatz 14 (original address: Schadowplatz 12) was constructed between 1896 and 1897 by the renowned architect’s office Kayser & von Großheim in cooperation with the Düsseldorf architect Max Wöhler.
It was originally built as the location of the Niederrheinische Bank and contained offices on the ground floor as well as apartments for the bank executives on the first and second floors. It later housed the private bank of Schliep & Co. for many years until 2001, when Garantibank International moved in.
The monumental sandstone facade is characterised by its historicist style and includes Renaissance design elements. The building has been listed since 1982. In 2011, the building was acquired by the van Meeteren Foundation and extensively renovated for its new role as an information and event centre.